Thursday 5 April 2012

I'm glad I'm ill!

I came down with a sore throat and a throbbing headache last night and it has persisted till today. I spent the day recovering by watching Dead Poets' Society, sleeping, and anything else that didn't involve my writing. And I'm glad I did, because if you're not making progress in your work, you might as well stop trying.


For the past few days I've been stuck at that impasse that many authors would call "Writer's block". I personally don't believe in writer's block because I think the term is a bit meaningless. It's meaningless because if I told you I had writer's block, your natural question would be "why?". So I can give you a few answers: I'm tired, or I'm demotivated. I'm sick, or I'm unhappy. Or I might actually have a lot of energy, but my brain just isn't coming up with the right words or expressions. To me, those are the real reasons for not getting any work done. Writer's block isn't a real mental state where you suddenly freeze up, unable to put pen to paper. It's tempting to believe in it, but I'm sceptical when there are so many more obvious or plausible reasons why I can't get work done. For example, doing this blog post. But I'm treating today as my day off, so I've let myself of the hook.

Most of the time I find my writer's blocks to be mere procrastination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment