Sunday 1 April 2012

My sad, sad range of hobbies.

Welcome to the blog of a journalist. I've recently kicked off a career as a writer of the religious sort, because since 2010 I've been writing for a Buddhist website called Buddhistdoor International, which is based in Hong Kong. I've also had some academic articles published. I do arts and culture features and commentary like interviews or museum, book, and movie reviews. My workplace is the strikingly snazzy Wang Fat Ching She, a temple which aside from its usual library, meditation halls and shrine was renovated in 2011 with an air-conditioned conference room, new offices for creative media, and a bloody up-to-date broadcasting studio for our radio channel. I'm proud and sad at the same time, because my hobby, or what I do on weekends or after work, is almost the same as what I do on weekdays and during work.

One of my biggest regrets has been my lack of initiative in joining clubs and societies where people actually moved body parts beyond their fingers on a keyboard. I was a happy member of an Australian karate club and I still keep in touch with my sensei and fellow karateka, but because my academic interests and work took me to London and Hong Kong (my hometown), I left Brisbane after three years of being able to count myself as a genuine "club member."

Two young holy lads I snapshotted in Bodhgaya in 2008. Or was it 2007? I hope dearly they've become leaders of faith and community builders.

What else do I enjoy apart from writing and reading insatiably? Here're some examples:
  • The History Boys (but you can only enjoy a movie so many times)
  • Badminton (but I haven't had a game since 2010)
  • Magic the Gathering (but I haven't played since 2006)
  • Piano/learning an instrument (but I haven't done so since 1995/96)
  • Buddhism (I was a founding member of the SOAS Mindfulness Society, but I've forgotten when was the last time we actually organized anything)
  • Bball (Rahul, Mark and I made a killer team)
  • Pop culture like manga and video games (although I've discovered that I can't play Skyrim for more than an hour before I get a throbbing headache that lasts for over a week... I think it's a hint for something)
... If I look at how I've invested my leisure time in list form, it looks kind of tragic. *sighs* Anyway, that's all I have to throw at this new blog for now. Feel free to leave a comment or some feedback if you like or hate this blog (I'll take anything).

~(^.^)~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment