Monday 14 May 2012

Social Entrepreneurship

I've been long fascinated by the idea of becoming a social entrepreneur. This came about through my genuine belief in the good intentions behind David Cameron's Big Society concept (riddled with problems though it may currently be). This is obviously my own bias since I have spent the last two years working for a non-profit and I have seen firsthand the power volunteers and selfless activists can wield. I believe strongly in what the Ho Family have done since the 1880's - their radical philanthropy is not technically social entrepreneurship, but the point is that great people do great things, and doing great things can make people great. I've done nowhere near as much volunteering as some of my friends have, but it only takes an earnest conversation to be radically inspired by people who are driven to make a difference in the local (or global) community.

So to anyone who might be reading this, I posit this question to you: What do you think is a truly urgent issue in Hong Kong or London that needs to be addressed? I wish to start a social entrepreneurship. I see myself as a cultural critic, a commentator on issues of faith and religion in society, and having a catholic interest in almost all social issues in almost every major country. What kind of entrepreneurship would suit "A Thousand Hands" that support social and cultural creativity and innovation?

No comments:

Post a Comment